Below are links to articles and videos related to the topics discussed in the 2012 Election issue of the Contra Costa Lawyer. Please feel free to add your comments and additional links via the comment section.
- City of Richmond ordinance to impose a business license fee on sugar-sweetened beverages
- Campaign over Richmond Soda Tax Bubbles Up (Wall Street Journal, 8/12/2012)
- Actor Danny Glover backs Richmond Soda Tax (Mercury News, 8/29/2012)
- Avoiding Sugary Drinks Improves Children’s Weight in Two Studies (New York Times, 9/21/2012)
VOTER ID LAWS
As you consider the current state of voter disenfranchisement in the United States, here are some links you may find helpful or (in the case of the clip from The Daily Show) amusing.
- For a summary of current Voter ID and registration laws from the Brennan Center, go to: http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/2012_summary_of_voting_law_changes/
- My original 2008 article on this topic was part of a Point/Counterpoint feature on Voter ID laws. You can download the entire 2008 edition of the Contra Costa Lawyer, which includes both articles, here: http://www.cccba.org/attorney/pdf/cclawyer/2008-10.pdf
- What are the Voter ID laws in your state? USA Today interactive map
- Wizards of I.D. – The Daily Show, August 8, 2012
- Pre-Election Legal Battles Target Voting Rules. NPR, August 24, 2012
- How Much Voter Fraud Is There? A state-by-state map reveals the answer: almost none. Slate, September 18, 2012
- Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Sent Back By State Supreme Court To Lower Court For Reconsideration. Huffington Post, September 18, 2012