What is LRIS?
Our Lawyer Referral & Information Service (LRIS) staff handles over 12,000 calls and online requests each year from members of the public who contact us with legal-related problems; nearly 4,500 of those calls result in client consultations with members of our LRIS each year.
Clients are carefully screened to determine whether a consultation with an attorney or a referral to another agency is the most appropriate course of action. When it is clear that the caller would benefit from consulting with an attorney, a 30-minute consultation is scheduled with an LRIS panelist who has met specific experience requirements, maintains malpractice insurance coverage and who practices in the geographic and subject matter areas that match the client’s needs.
The LRIS is a public service of the Contra Costa County Bar Association, a nonprofit organization. Our Lawyer Referral & Information Service is certified by the State Bar of California (Certification #0018) and meets American Bar Association Standards.
Moderate Means Program
Help make quality legal support a reality for moderate income clients by joining the Moderate Means Program! As an adjunct to the Lawyer Referral & Information Service, this program offers reduced-fee representation in family law, immigration, and elder law matters. The program is designed to make legal services available for those who do not qualify for pro bono services but who still do not have the means to retain attorneys at their usual rates. Moderate Means clients pay participating attorneys a modest retainer and hourly rate that fit within the program guidelines. Panel attorneys come from all different legal backgrounds and experience levels.
Family Law Alternative Resolution (FLARe) Program
Also an adjunct to LRIS, the FLARe program provides a mediation alternative for parties with a family law situation who agree to attempt resolution of their dispute using this process. A 90-minute session at a much-reduced rate is offered to give clients the opportunity to determine if mediation would be useful in attempting to resolve their entire family case. The FLARe program is never offered where domestic violence is a factor.
Why YOU Should Join the LRIS
- We do the marketing for you: We get over 12,000 calls each year from people who are looking for legal representation. Rather than spend money on expensive advertising, hoping that prospective clients might need your services some day, your LRIS membership gives you access to the people who really need your help today.
- LRIS referrals are paying clients: Over $1 million in attorney fees are collected annually from clients referred by our LRIS. Although not every case leads to a paying client, there are rewards realized even from prospective clients who only come in for a consultation. An initial consultation can lead to a long and profitable attorney-client relationship, as well as future referrals to colleagues, friends and family.
- Better clients as a result of the LRIS: There is a growing distrust of what are often perceived as self-serving online ads and TV infomercials. The public is looking for a referral source that can be trusted. Our LRIS is certified by the State Bar of California and approved by the ABA as an independent provider of competent and reliable legal representation.
What LRIS Clients have to say…
These quotes are taken from our regular client surveys.
- About LRIS panelist Anna Evans: “I was impressed with the referred attorney. I would definitely recommend this service. Also, I appreciated the initial representative, Barbara. She was professional and responded quickly to my call.”
- About LRIS panelist Stuart West: “The total experience was very positive. Upon calling the LRIS, I spoke with a very kind person, Emily, who took down the information regarding my needs. She called back very quickly with a referral and appointment, and the attorney she referred me [to] had the exact skills and knowledge I needed. In addition, his office was located within 10 minutes of my home. I would definitely use this service again. Emily was the key to making this a positive experience.”
- About LRIS panelist Virginia Ekelund: “I was extremely satisfied with the service I was provided by both the LRIS as well as the attorney to whom I was referred. Virginia Ekelund was extremely professional and offered her expertise in a very honest and candid manner. I would highly recommend the LRIS to anyone needing this type of assistance and would also definitely seek the advice of Virginia Ekelund again if the need arose in her field of law.”